Information for Teaching Freshmen
Resources for current and prospective instructors to learn more about teaching
in the Freshman Seminar Program.
- The Bok Center for Teaching and Learning
- Tips for Teaching Freshman Seminars
- Getting Freshmen to Speak Up in Seminars
- Writing Guide for the Freshman Seminar Program
- Designing Essay Assignments for Freshmen
For suggestions and feedback for faculty about teaching freshmen, please feel free to contact Ofrit Liviatan, Director of the Freshman Seminar Program, with any queries.
Funding for Seminar Activities
Seminar receive a budget of $300 for course-related expenses.
Reimbursements - Please submit all receipts and Harvard reimbursement form to Nina Duncan no later than 60 days after incurring expense. To obtain a form, please email Nina at email@example.com.
Student/Faculty Meals in Annenberg Hall: Instructors may eat with students for free in Annenberg (freshman dining hall) throughout the academic year. Just show your HUID and identify yourself as a Freshman Seminar instructor to the checker when you arrive.
Reunion Meals: The Dean of Harvard College generously offers $25 per student and instructor for reunion meals to which you may invite all your seminar alumni from upper classes.
- Waiver Form for students: to be signed & returned to the FSP office
please note: if student is under 18, a parent must sign & return form by mail or fax, 617-496-3262
"Members of the Harvard College community commit themselves to producing academic work of integrity – that is, work that adheres to the scholarly and intellectual standards of accurate attribution of sources, appropriate collection and use of data, and transparent acknowledgement of the contribution of others to their ideas, discoveries, interpretations, and conclusions. Cheating on exams or problem sets, plagiarizing or misrepresenting the ideas or language of someone else as one’s own, falsifying data, or any other instance of academic dishonesty violates the standards of our community, as well as the standards of the wider world of learning and affairs."
Please add guidelines about this issue to your syllabus. For examples and further explanation, please go to this website page, http://honor.fas.harvard.edu/syllabus-design .
- Academic Undergraduate Calendar
- (ATG) Academic Technology Group: for assistance with course website
- Harvard College Library: Guidance for Freshman Seminar Faculty:
please contact Cheryl LaGuardia, Research Librarian, Widener Library,
- Harvard Art Museums - Information for Faculty
- Teaching and Learning Thru Museum Collections
- Harvard Museums of Science and Culture - Information for Faculty